Re: Problem setting access control in Apache

* Leiyuan Li (leli@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> 1. Use "htpasswd -c user1" to create a new user "user1" and set password for it.

I just did a 'htpasswd -c .htpasswd user1' and entered in a password.

> 2. copy the generated passoword file "passwd" to the controlled directory.

moved .htpasswd into my secret/ dir.

> 3. create a ".htaccess" under that directory with the content
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "Provide your pass"
> AuthUserFile /home/passwd
> Require user user1

and created the file .htaccess with the same settings. Except I gave the
full path to the file. The setting for AuthUserFile looks a little
suspect. Is your website run out of /home/?

Mine was
/var/www/calvin.resnet.mtu.edu/secret

And these settings work for me.

hth,