Cantennas

A couple people from the LUG said that they had made cantennas for
directional wireless networking support. I'm in need of something like
this. I'm currently without an internet connection at home, and I have the
opportunity of getting onto a broadband connection that's about 300 feet
away or so. It's not quite line-of-sight, though it's close. I tested out
the signal strength of my wireless router and another one I put at the
house with the existing connection. Neither one reaches the other, so I'm
hoping that maybe a directional antenna or two will help.

Does anyone have a suggestion for setting this up? Easy directions would
be great. I don't mind spending a couple bucks, but I don't want to put
too much into it. It'd be nice if the antennas are cheap enough that I can
let them sit outside in the cold Minnesota winters or not worry about
people snagging them if I decide to have them at ground level.

There are thousands of HOWTOs online, but I'm hoping someone with
experience can hook me up.

Dingo out.

-Adam
dingostick.com