Re: Apache Web Server Set Up

I don't know if it's this way in Houghton, but it is in Traverse City, and
since it's the same ISP (Charter), I'd assume it's the same. Charter
blocks incoming traffic on port 80 (the HTTP port), as well as the other
"standard" ports (21, etc). You'll have to set your domain to send traffic
to a different port that Charter isn't blocking (I found that 473 worked),
and then setup port forwarding on your router/firewall, and change the
port Apache is listening on to the appropriate port. If Yahoo! doesn't let
you change the port that traffic is forwarded to, check out
http://www.dyndns.org.

> December 28, 2004
> MTU, Houghton
>
> Hi,
>
> I tried installing and configuring Apache (2.0.x) Web Server on my
laptop running Fedora Core 3.0. Installation was absolutely painless,

>   yum install httpd httpd-devel httpd-manual
>
> solved all the package-dependency problems and a Test Page showed up
when I typed `http://localhost` in Firefox after executing the command
`/sbin/service httpd start`.

> I have bought a domain name, `www.sgowtham.net` from Yahoo! and I need
to configure Apache so that website runs from my computer.

> What I did was to edit the `A RECORD` on Yahoo! so that destination for
*.sgowtham.net was 24.236.191.14 (IP address assigned by Charter), added
the line

>   127.0.0.1	sgowtham.net
>
> to /etc/hosts and the following lines to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file
>
> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
>         ServerName localhost
>         DocumentRoot /var/www/html
>         DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost 24.236.191.14:80>
>         ServerAdmin admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>         ServerName sgowtham.net
>         DocumentRoot /var/www/sgowtham
>         ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/sgowtham_error_log
>         CustomLog /var/log/httpd/sgowtham_access_log common
>         DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml
>         <Directory "/var/www/sgowtham">
>                 Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
>                 AllowOverride None
>                 Order allow,deny
>                 Allow from all
>         </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>

> I then exectued the command `/sbin/service httpd restart` and was able
to see the actual contents when I typed `http://www.sgowtham.net` from
my computer as well as another computer in my house. By the way, we use
a router and I have made sure of the following :

> 1. Router is always on - so the IP address assigned by Charter
>    (24.236.191.14) will not change
>
> 2. All the three computers behind the router have static IP address and
>    that of my computer is 192.168.0.3
>
> 3. I have enabled Port Forwarding : incoming requests to Port 80 will be
>    forwarded to 192.168.0.3
>
> 4. I have modified my firewall to accept the incoming HTTP requests
>    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 0.0.0.0/0 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
>
> But when I try accessing my website from any computer outside the router
(school or cyberia cafe), it just doesn't show anything.

> Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. Right now, I
removed all the packages (httpd*) and re-installed them.

> Regards,
> Gowtham

> http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~sgowtham

Matt Hansen