Re: Apache Web Server Set Up

Matt Hansen wrote:

I don't know if it's this way in Houghton, but it is in Traverse City, and
since it's the same ISP (Charter), I'd assume it's the same. Charter
blocks incoming traffic on port 80 (the HTTP port), as well as the other
"standard" ports (21, etc). You'll have to set your domain to send traffic
to a different port that Charter isn't blocking (I found that 473 worked),
and then setup port forwarding on your router/firewall, and change the
port Apache is listening on to the appropriate port. If Yahoo! doesn't let
you change the port that traffic is forwarded to, check out
http://www.dyndns.org.

They do however let port 22(ssh) in. Which I hartily appreciate.

And you don't have to worry about the port when doing DNS. Since an A record will make all traffic to a certain domain go to a single IP regardless of the port. You will just have to link to your website like
http://www.sgowtham.net:8080 or something.

I just noticed, S. Gowtham that you put your domain in your /etc/hosts file so you will never see if the DNS is messed up because your computer will always use the hosts file.

-steve