Re: netinst with Debian

One caveat, the lug mirror is currently down.

Or is it being directed elsewhere?

On Mar 3, 2005, at 3:02 PM, Brian McPherson wrote:

Jacob,

The Debian Net Install is a great choice to install Debian. I've always
used it to install base systems. Once you get everything installed, you
can edit your apt-sources to point to which ever Version you want.

For example:

deb http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

will make apt install packages only in sid.

I would recommend installing sarge instead of woody, which would be:

deb http://lug.mtu.edu/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free

Once you get the base install, it's really trivial to update packages to
what you need.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and that brings you to the most recent.

Good Luck,
Brian McPherson
(Dark-Fx)

Hello all,

I've decided to go with Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 "Woody". I'd like to do a net
installation as opposed to using all 7 CDs on every machine on my tiny
cluster. The http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ page provides some guidance on where to get the images for the netinst cd. I can burn the cd from a
.iso
file. But I'm not sure which cd to use. None of the offered .iso images
are
the most current (3.0 r4). I'm guessing I use apt to get the rest of the necessary packages. How do I know that all the packages on my system are
updated to the Debian 3.0r4 standard if I use say the outdated 3.0r2
install
CD image off of http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-minicd/ ?

Jacob Fugal

jpfugal@xxxxxxx