Re: netinst with Debian

Jacob Fugal wrote:
Hello all,

I’ve decided to go with Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 “Woody”. I’d like to do a net installation as opposed to using all 7 CDs on every machine on my tiny cluster. The http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ page provides some guidance on where to get the images for the netinst cd. I can burn the cd from a .iso file. But I’m not sure which cd to use. None of the offered .iso images are the most current (3.0 r4). I’m guessing I use apt to get the rest of the necessary packages. How do I know that all the packages on my system are updated to the Debian 3.0r4 standard if I use say the outdated 3.0r2 install CD image off of http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-minicd/ ?

Jacob Fugal

jpfugal@xxxxxxx

I recommend using the debian installer cd to install debian. You can get information about it at the following web site:

Don't worry if the iso image is the most current or not. Once you get the system up and running you can simply run "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get upgrade" to make your install current. Also I recommend installing sarge unless you really need the Quality Assurance that woody provides. Woody is rock solid and stable, but the downside is that its getting to be 4 or 5 years out of date now. The debian installer disc should ask which branch to install (woody, sarge, or sid) somewhere towards the beginning. If you want to use the machine as a server I would say its ok to install sarge. If you want to use the machine as a desktop with the latest and greatest software then I would recommend sid. Sid is what's known as a "rolling" distribution meaning that new software is constantly being added and ready to install using apt. If you have any questions just reply back to the list and we'll do our best to help you out.

Tim Carmean

--
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant