Re: After install guide sheets

actually, there is a root account, it is disabled, but exists, and can be enable for those that really want to, although it doesnt seem to be needed(i havent needed it in the first 2 weeks).

-Scott

Tim Carmean wrote:
Jon Klimowicz wrote:

The information I am using right now is how to
install packages, useful config files, and helpful websites.

Debian:

Debian-Installer (way easier than before):

Release Information (which branch to go with?):
http://www.debian.org/releases/

Personal Recommendations:
Server - Woody
Desktop or Server with newer packages - Sarge
Desktop with latest packages - Sid

The "advanced packaging tool" is used to install/uninstall/upgrade
software packages:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

Debconf is a menu driven configuration guide. If you ever need to
reconfigure a package's configuration you can use:
dpkg --reconfigure <package name>

Apt frontends - I recommend synaptic (apt-get install synaptic)

helpful links:

ArsLinux Wiki: http://wiki.arslinux.com
Arstechnica Linux Kung Fu:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/frm/f/96509133
IRC Help:
lug.mtu.edu #linux
irc.arstechnica.com #linux

Ubuntu:

Debian based distribution aimed at the desktop. It operates on a strict
6 month release cycle right behind Gnome.

Highly recommended for a desktop/laptop use.

Corporate Backed by Canonical Inc.

Makes strong use of the synaptic frontend to apt.

No root account (sudo used instead)

http://www.ubuntulinux.org
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FrontPage
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/
http://wiki.arslinux.com
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/frm/f/96509133
IRC Help:
lug.mtu.edu #linux
irc.arstechnica.com #linux

Theres some info to get the ball rolling on debian and ubuntu.

Tim
--
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant