From: "Jon DeVree" <nuxi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Kevin Wright" <kdwright@xxxxxxx>
Cc: lug-l@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:43:07 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: Linux Problems

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 15:31:47 -0400, Kevin Wright wrote:
> It's actually more hard disk related.  It's detecting bad sectors and
> it won't mount my filesystem.

Then you're probably screwed already...

> I'm hoping to be able to still recover a couple things that I have on
> there before having to either reformat or buy a new hard drive.
> Any help you can direct me towards would be greatly appreciated.

... but if you're feeling adventurous!

There is a chance the bad sectors only impact the first superblock of
the filesystem. Try booting a live CD and running
mkdir /foo
mount -t ext2 -o sb=8193 /dev/sdNN /foo

Where sdNN is the partition that is affected, probably sda1. The 8193
is probably the right location for the backup superblock, but I could be
wrong. I usually don't bother trying to recover dying drives.

You'll want to *IMMEDIATELY* back up as much data as possible. Then you
can download something like SeaTools (it works for all hard drives, not
just seagate drives) and test the drive.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

Go for the "SeaTools for DOS" version, its the bootable CD-ROM.

--
Jon
X(7): A program for managing terminal windows. See also screen(1).