start a new LUG?

I realize that the MTU LUG is alive and well, and I haven't any first-hand experience in the matter, but I would venture a guess that the membership and participation is exclusively by members of the student body. (According to the LUG Constitution, membership is limited to active students, but I'm not sure what the rules are regarding attendance at Install-A-Thons, etc.)

But there are a great number of local computer users (Houghton-Keweenaw area) outside of the student body, and I imagine that there are some that might be interested in learning about Linux, getting help with their new operating system, as well as those who would be interested in helping the first group.

So, I propose starting a Keweenaw Area LUG. One that's available to the entire community, regardless of affiliation (or lack thereof) with MTU. But now I have a few questions:

Are there any reasons why I should *not* start a new LUG?

Does anybody have any suggestions for going about it? I would like to get the word out as efficiently as possible, but I don't want to have to take out an ad in the paper.

I'm having trouble thinking of a suitable meeting place, other than a public library. (And I'm not even sure how the libraries would feel about this.) Does anybody have any suggestions for meeting places in the Houghton-Hancock-Calumet-Keweenaw area?

And if anybody has anything related that they want me to know, any questions, or suggestions, I would love to hear them - thanks. :)

Neal Ylitalo

--
You don't have to pay a cent for your computer software. If you want to try a completely free alternative to Windows, look into Ubuntu GNU/Linux. (Google will tell you all you need to know.)

Use GPG security in your email: www.gnupg.org
Free software, free society: www.fsf.org www.gnu.org
Eliminate DRM: www.defectivebydesign.org