Re: start a new LUG?

Neal,

I think this is a great idea.   When I was in Maryland there were
several Beowulf/Linux groups in the area.   They used to get together
once a month and made an event of it.  I think something like that
could work about here.
I think the thing we need to figure out is the purpose for each of
the groups and then what they have in common and how they can
work together.

The students should talk for themselves,  but...
I think they are trying to help the student body,  so they are interested
in helping them find software for research and education.
I would guess people in the community would be more interested in
business and server software.
Of course,  everyone needs to improve their entertainment capabilities.

There is also the possiblity of getting High School kids involved,
maybe that is where you hold the meetings.

Last suggestion:  How's KLUG sound.

Phil

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:42:52 -0400 Neal Ylitalo wrote:

> --Sig_/SVEHf+wVVvhhj8F.=iUblH6
>
> I realize that the MTU LUG is alive and well, and I haven't any first-hand =
> experience in the matter, but I would venture a guess that the membership a=
> nd participation is exclusively by members of the student body. (According =
> to the LUG Constitution, membership is limited to active students, but I'm =
> not sure what the rules are regarding attendance at Install-A-Thons, etc.)
>
> But there are a great number of local computer users (Houghton-Keweenaw are=
> a) outside of the student body, and I imagine that there are some that migh=
> t be interested in learning about Linux, getting help with their new operat=
> ing system, as well as those who would be interested in helping the first g=
> roup.
>
> So, I propose starting a Keweenaw Area LUG. One that's available to the ent=
> ire community, regardless of affiliation (or lack thereof) with MTU. But no=
> w I have a few questions:
>
> Are there any reasons why I should *not* start a new LUG?
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions for going about it? I would like to get t=
> he word out as efficiently as possible, but I don't want to have to take ou=
> t an ad in the paper.
>
> I'm having trouble thinking of a suitable meeting place, other than a publi=
> c library. (And I'm not even sure how the libraries would feel about this.)=
>  Does anybody have any suggestions for meeting places in the Houghton-Hanco=
> ck-Calumet-Keweenaw area?
>
> And if anybody has anything related that they want me to know, any question=
> s, or suggestions, I would love to hear them - thanks. :)
>
> Neal Ylitalo=20
>
> --=20
> You don't have to pay a cent for your computer software. If you want to try=
>  a completely free alternative to Windows, look into Ubuntu GNU/Linux. (Goo=
> gle will tell you all you need to know.)
>
> Use GPG security in your email: www.gnupg.org
> Free software, free society: www.fsf.org www.gnu.org
> Eliminate DRM: www.defectivebydesign.org
>
> --Sig_/SVEHf+wVVvhhj8F.=iUblH6