Re: start a new LUG?

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:20:33 -0500, Phil Merkey <merk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The students should talk for themselves,  but...
> I think they are trying to help the student body,  so they are
> interested in helping them find software for research and education.
> I would guess people in the community would be more interested in
> business and server software.
> Of course,  everyone needs to improve their entertainment
> capabilities.

My thoughts exactly. I imagine the core selling points would be the low cost, availability of any and all types of applications, and other tangible supporting factors. Technical bonuses would have to take a backseat - after all, relatively few people care about being able to hack their software.

> There is also the possiblity of getting High School kids involved,
> maybe that is where you hold the meetings.

I'd thought of that, too. I'm putting together some sale-able information that I could ask the high schools to put on their bulletin boards and what-not. (I was actually motivated to try this after talking to some of my friends still in high school.)

> Last suggestion:  How's KLUG sound.

It's scary how much we think alike. :) Kalamazoo already has a KLUG, but I don't think there will be too many people that can't make the distinction.

Neal

--
You don't have to pay a cent for your computer software. If you want to try a completely free alternative to Windows, look into Ubuntu GNU/Linux. (Google will tell you all you need to know.)

Use GPG security in your email: www.gnupg.org
Free software, free society: www.fsf.org www.gnu.org
Eliminate DRM: www.defectivebydesign.org