Re: Anyone interested in a blog?

Derek would be wrong here. Common carriers are ISP type providers, they move bits and bits alone from my understanding. If you are hosting services, perform no censorship and just host the information you become an online service provider (OSP). This is a common term in that world and will get you more traction when working with the lawyerese and probably USG.

It is also important to note that in some instances (maybe not here?) if you are providing online services to users you may want to have a Registered Agent with the proper authorities in order to prevent the LUG from being clipped by a copyright lawsuit. The University should have one but it may not extend down to the LUG. The purpose of a Registered Agent is to insulate you from the lawsuit and it basically is a way for you to pass the lawsuit directly onto a user instead of having to field it yourself.

Derek did bring up a point about the University saying no. I don't think MTU would find issue with the LUG offering such services but it would still be wise to clear it through USG or similar. It could compete directly with someone higher up the food chain and I've found it bad to piss off people that may control my funding....

The other trick here is can the LUG server's handle the word press load? I have not seen that brought up yet and it would be something that should be considered. How fast are the LUG servers and what sort of load are they currently under already? How well does Wordpress scale beyond 5 users? etc...

Just some things I've noted watching this discussion build.

-- Mike