SATA Info

I did some SATA research recently and this is what I came up with. Looks like a lot of good options are out there for SATA and SATA2, thought everyone may like to know.

-- Mike

From the research I have done, it appears that the Sata2 spec will support hot swappable drives. I have found these controllers from the few major brands I knew of in the raid controller market. There are a few options for High Point because they offer solutions for PCI, PCI-E, and PCI-X. I also included information on swappable drive controllers that can hold sata drives. One of them will allow you to be able to pull out the cradle and hook the drive up externally to your computer via the sata connection.

Sata 2 Raid controller cards
LSI Logic MegaRAID-150-4
http://www.lsilogic.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/ megaraid_sata/megaraid_sata_1504/index.html

Adaptec 2420SA
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/sata_prod/sata2raid/AAR-2420SA/

High Point RocketRaid 2340
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2210.htm

High Point RocketRaid 2310
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2310.htm

High Point RocketRaid 2300
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2300.htm

High Point RocketRaid 1740
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr1740.htm

3ware 9650SE-4LPML
http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9650.asp

3ware 9550SX-4LP
http://www.3ware.com/products/Serial_ata2-9000.asp

Drive Cradle
http://www.addonics.com/products/combo_hdd/aechdsa35.asp
Allows a Sata drive to be swapped in and out of the trays, but the hard drive cradle can also be used like an external sata drive.

http://www.usb-ware.com/sata-hot-swap-internal-drive-kit.htm