Re: Filesystems

I struggled with that page too.  Tim, thanks for posting that link.
However, I think we don't have to be sexist -- "childish" would do
just as well, I think.

> From: Jack Matheson <jkmathes@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Filesystems
> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:44:41 -0500
> To: lug-l@xxxxxxx
>
> After weeding out personal BS and 4 year old girlish attacks, your
> conclusion is that "Reiser FS is absolute shit" ?
>
> *giggle*
>

> > Well,
> >
> > After struggling through the first page of that thread, I'm
> > about ready to give up.  After weeding out the personal BS,
> >
> > and the 4 year old girlish attacks made back and forth, I
> > have to agree with Tim and say: "Reiser FS is absolute shit".
> > That goes for v3 that seems to have data stability problems,
> > and v4 which is redundant in coding style, and hard for the
> > kernel development team to read.
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> >> Steve brought up the main reason that I think Reiser sucks. The FS
> >> shouldn't just die when hardware begins to fail. This has been
> >> documented countless times with Reiser 3. For those waiting for
> >> Reiser 4
> >> to be included you might want to tell Hans Reiser to get his head
> >> out of
> >> his butt. The kernel developers don't seem to be very pleased with
> >> him.
> >> I refer you to the following Kernel Trap article:
> >>
> >> http://kerneltrap.org/node/5679
> >>
> >> Heck it doesn't even look as though Reiser4 will be backwards
> >> compatible
> >> with Reiser3, but I can't substantiate that because I'm lazy so
> >> take it
> >> with a grain of salt.
> >>
> >> ReiserFS has a 2-fold problem: It eats data on failing drives and the
> >> head developer is (seemingly) a dick.
> >>
> >> Tim
> >> --
> >> Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
> >> Resnet Student Consultant
> >> Telcom Customer Service
> >> Vice President: Michigan Technological University Linux Users Group
> >> CAEL Partner (in perpetual training)
> >> Public GPG Key: http://chong.idlegames.com/crypto/tecarmea.gpg.pub
> >> http://www.bigmaninjapan.com

David Forel - dforel@xxxxxxx
Ph.D. Candidate, Geological Eng.
Michigan Technological University
1-906-370-3152  Cell phone
1-906-487-3371  Dept. fax
http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~dforel

What doesn't kill me gives me something to talk about.