Re: Filesystems

Anthony Oliver wrote:
> I currently run "ext2/ext3" on my home filesystem and was curious if
>
> anyone else runs different filesystems (i.e. RieserFS, XFS, JFS).
> I read that RieserFS can run 10-15times faster than ext for small files.
> Is this true? Has anyone had any real life comparisions.
> Can anyone give me some environments/examples where one filesystem would
> be preferred over the other, or like RieserFS for my /home partition,
> ext3 for my media (mp3, video) partition.
>

> thanks,
> -Anthony

I don't mean to start any sort of a flamewar, but ReiserFS 3 is absolute
shit. Sure it's fast (or people say it is), but it has always had a real
reliability problem. If you want something "faster" than ext3 then I
would recommend XFS. I've been slowly migrating to it when I buy new
disks. It seems pretty stable; again I don't know how fast it is because
to me it seems just as fast as ext3. As for circumstances about when to
use what type of filesystem where; I think that XFS shines on operations
made to a large number of small files. Don't quote me on it though.

Tim
--
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant