Re: New sound card

> Scott G Elliott wrote:
>
>> there is some sort of mute that is on by default in some cards,
>> maybe thats causing a problem
>>
>> -Scott
>>
> I think this is probably the problem. By default in Debian the
> channels are muted. I would tinker about in the alsamixer.
>
> Tim

I'd usually agree, however he said he tinkered with that.  Some of these
things may not apply based on your distribution/desktop, but I assume you
can decipher it to what you use.

Make sure that it is loading properly, ie: do /etc/rc5.d/S17sound restart
and all the others that apply. ( S18, and S50 on what I'm using. )

Then make sure that your desktop is set up with the new stuff.  It may
have been set to use a weird directory in /dev/ with the old card that no
longer applies.  Also make sure that the mixer on your desktop is
controlling the proper sound card and is no longer muted ( I've seen KDE
is some cases seem to apply the volume control separate from alsamixer )

I hope some of that helps.  I know I've had trouble getting cards to work
if I have to do it by hand.  ( often when I overlook the muted default )