ethernet question

Hello,

I'm using the latest version of Red Hat.  I have linux on both my laptop and desktop PC.  When I was using mandrake 7.1 on my laptop, it worked like a champ.  Now it doesn't seem to recognize its 3-com credit card ethernet card (the 586 model I believe, I can double check that if it helps).  It connects to the internet, but eth0 shows up as "FAIL" on boot.

I'm having the same problem on my PC, except I can't get on the internet at all with  that machine.  I have a Linksys Etherfast network card with that, and Red Hat won't seem to accept any of the drivers I give it.  I'm not familiar with recompiling the kernal, so I chose to use the rpm driver, the latest one from their website, but I haven't been successful. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neal