Re: firmware update

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:09:29 -0500 (CDT), "Dan Sauer" <dmsauer@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
--- snip ---
> Anyone know where to find a Windows Live CD?

Look at BartPE (Bart's Pre-installed Environment). This is the closest
thing I've ever heard about with respect to a Windows Live CD. This may
provide enough functionality for what you need. It should be noted that I
think you have to have a valid Windows License to use this disc.

To they nay-sayers:

This is not at all unlike drivers for your wireless cards or bios updates
for your motherboards. If you are going to take the stance that companies
that produce DVD-Writers are ok to lock us out of their product then you
should be ok with wireless card makers doing the same thing. I purchased my
Lite-On DVD Writer a few months ago (without doing any research) and
thankfully I've not had any problems (other than the stupid os ignoring my
hdparm.conf causing it to burn _REALLY_ slow). There are some companies
that have proven that they will play nice. Companies like Intel
(contributing to the ipw projects) and Asus (techsupport helped me create a
method for flashing my bios under linux) are the ones who we should be
rewarding. It's a simple cost-benefit analysis for these people. The
"feature" isn't worth the cost if there is no value added as a result of
doing the work. It is up to us to add the value.

Tim