Re: Debian woes

Steven Isaacson [02/09/02 23:38 -0500]:
> * Adam Shirey (aeshirey@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> > First and foremost, when I startx, it brings up KDE. That's fine, but I'm a
> > GNOME man. (It should be noted here that when it started KDE, it brought up
> > the KDE gears and shortly thereafter died.) So I ran gdm (which, of course,
> > only root wants to do, so I ran as root). It started up the gdm fine, but I
> > had no mouse and no keyboard. I couldn't enter my username, couldn't go
> > through the menus, switch to a different console, or even CTRL-ALT-DEL out.
> > (I hope I don't have to fsck when I go back; I'm in Windows right now).
>
> This should be controled through your .xinitrc. Though I have never used
> GNOME or KDE so I am not sure of the exact process to get them started.
> I would think installing GDM and uninstalling KDM would fix the problem.
Well, I don't remember quite which version it was but at one point in time
the .xinitrc file support was broken in debian and I had to write my own
startx script.  Pretty easy thing to do.

if [-e "$HOME/.xinitrv];
{
   exec "$HOME/.xinitrc";
}
els
{
   exec "$EXEC_PATH/gnome-session";
}

--
/-------------------------------------------------\
|Barry J Dmytro...............bjdmytro@xxxxxxxxxxx|
|badcherry................http://www.badcherry.org|
|job5_20.........................job5_20@xxxxxxxxx|
|jobbd.....................................AIM UID|
|job5_20...........................Yahoo Messenger|
|94626793...................................ICQ ID|
|job5_20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ID|
|-------------------------------------------------|
|Well dreads, contrary to the beliefs of some, are|
|not an inherently unclean or unsanitary hair     |
|style. They are washed and cared for in much the |
|same way that braids are. They will not make     |
|you smelly or dirty and won't damage your        |
|scalp or the roots of their hair. Unlike tattoos |
|dreads can be removed quickly and inexpensively  |
|by cutting them when you grow tired of           |
|them. Most workplaces accept well maintained     |
|dreadlocks and those that don't are usually      |
|pacified with an all black dread tam (hat for    |
|holding dreads). Dreads are not associated with  |
|any cults or illicit behaviors, however they are |
|associated with vegetarianism, veganism and other|
|natural and heath conscious life styles. Dreading|
|forces one to look inward for strength and       |
|assurance and promotes spiritual growth as well  |
|as determination. Dreads are very inexpensive to |
|maintain compared to normal hairstyles which     |
|require maintenance by a salon. Pomade, mooses,  |
|spritses, gels and expensive conditioners are    |
|replaced by a highly biodegradable,              |
|environmentally friendly wax.                    |
|So they are sanitary, actually healthy for the   |
|hair and scalp. They are socially liberal rather |
|than conservative, but not offensive in any way. |
|They build self confidence and promote spiritual |
|growth. And they allow you to express            |
|yourselve in a natural and non-permanent way.    |
| [see http://www.dreadheadhq.com/ for more info] |