Re: kjournald using too much CPU

* Mike Smith (mismith@xxxxxxx) wrote:
> hey, kjournald is using up a lot of my processor.  It slows down my entire system when I try to do any disk intensive activities. Any ideas why?

I was just reading an article on ext3 journaling. On the ext3 filesystem
there are a few different modes of journaling (journal,ordered,writeback).

Journal logs all filesystem data and metadata
Ordered logs only metadata and is default
Writeback logs only metadata and writes using standard filesystem
processes to write the data it is the fastest.

I guess it is possible that somehow your system is using journal mode.
Check out this article for details
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/4136/5/

> Also, does anybody know why my system would not be using any of it's swap?

I wouldn't worry if its not using any swap at all though that is kinda strange.
My computer has about 244MB of the swap used even though I have 512MB of
RAM. I would supposed that the longer you leave your computer on and the
more deamons you have running the more your swap is going to be hit.

-steve
--
Steven Isaacson <spisaacs@xxxxxxx> AIM/Yahoo/MSN:spi516
"I knew that you would just turn away..." - Cosmicity