Re: Scsi Emulation of CD and Weirdness

Linux kernel 2.6.8 has problems burning cds unless the user is root. This is noted by both the people who write cdrecord and k3b. Try going to 2.6.9 or back down to 2.6.7. Both of those kernels have worked just fine for me for burning. 2.6.9 changed some things that broke just about everything (including xterms) so the easiest solution is probably to try a 2.6.7 kernel.

Matthew Hughes wrote:

I am using Kernel 2.6.8 and I did have to enable it to make cdrecord work, (I think it works now...)  But initially, I had issues with that.  cdrecord -scanbus wouldn't return any devices and seemed to only care about my IDE-drives when emulated.  If this is obsolete, I would like to know what you do differently.

Then I booted into Windows, since I haven't figured out how to make SANE work with my hp5100C. Yes, this is a ppSCSI SANE-HP device... I know that much. Upon Booting into windows, I realized that I had no CD-Drives! In the Hardware Manager, I saw my DVD, My CDRW, and a SCSI CDRW. I have no SCSI CDRW and thus I found this to be quite odd.
To enable the SCSI emulation, I did:

dmesg | grep ATAPI

then I added:  modprobe ide-scsi
to my /etc/init.d/rcS.d
Version of Linux is Debian if you couldn't tell from that.
Thus, I now have <cdrecord -dev=1,0,0 isof.iso> working, but I am enormously curious as to why Windows saw the SCSI drive.  I only use Windows for Scanner-work and so this isn't too big of a deal yet, but I am now very intrigued.

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:52:18 -0500