Re: Scsi Emulation of CD and Weirdness

Daniel Brinks wrote:
| Again, I am not sure about your windows problems (but I will keep looking
| around online), but you just need to enable "Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM
support"
| in your kernel. It is in "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL Support" under Device
Drivers. If
| you look at the decription for the SCSI emulation module, it says this:
|
| WARNING: ide-scsi is no longer needed for cd writing applications!
| The 2.6 kernel supports direct writing to ide-cd, which eliminates
| the need for ide-scsi + the entire scsi stack just for writing a
| cd. The new method is more efficient in every way.
|
| I suggest you get ATAPI cdrom support running in your kernel and
remove the
| scsi emulation settings from your bootloader, maybe the windows
problems will
| straighten up then?
|
| -Dan Brinks
|
| On Wednesday 01 December 2004 09:19 pm, you wrote:
|
|>I am using Kernel 2.6.8 and I did have to enable it to make cdrecord work,
|>(I think it works now...)  But initially, I had issues with that.
cdrecord
|>-scanbus wouldn't return any devices and seemed to only care about my
|>IDE-drives when emulated.  If this is obsolete, I would like to know what
|>you do differently.
|>
|>Then I booted into Windows, since I haven't figured out how to make SANE
|>work with my hp5100C.  Yes, this is a ppSCSI SANE-HP device... I know that
|>much.
|>
|>Upon Booting into windows, I realized that I had no CD-Drives!  In the
|>Hardware Manager, I saw my DVD, My CDRW, and a SCSI CDRW.  I have no SCSI
|>CDRW and thus I found this to be quite odd.
|>
|>To enable the SCSI emulation, I did:
|>
|>dmesg | grep ATAPI
|>
|>then I added:  modprobe ide-scsi
|>to my /etc/init.d/rcS.d
|>Version of Linux is Debian if you couldn't tell from that.
|>Thus, I now have <cdrecord -dev=1,0,0 isof.iso> working, but I am
|>enormously curious as to why Windows saw the SCSI drive.  I only use
|>Windows for Scanner-work and so this isn't too big of a deal yet, but I am
|>now very intrigued.
|>
|>On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:52:18 -0500
|>
|>Daniel Brinks <dlbrinks@xxxxxxx> wrote:
|>
|>>What kernel are you running? SCSI emulation for CD writers is obsolete
|>>and unnecessary in kernel 2.6.x, I didn't enable it and my burner is
|>>functioning fine.
|>>
|>>-Dan Brinks

Agreed, in 2.6 the need for scsi emulation went away when they
introduced the ATAPI capabilities. Here's the relevant information for
cdrecord on my system:

legolas:~# cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a38 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
J\uffffrg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
~      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
~      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
~      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.7
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus1:
~        1,0,0   100) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W1210A' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM
~        1,1,0   101) *
~        1,2,0   102) *
~        1,3,0   103) *
~        1,4,0   104) *
~        1,5,0   105) *
~        1,6,0   106) *
~        1,7,0   107) *

if you are using debian like I am you can edit /etc/default/cdrecord and
add lines like the following:

# The default device, if not specified elswhere
#
CDR_DEVICE=plextor
plextor=        1,0,0   -1      -1      burnfree

that will add your cdr as the default one so that you can just use
cdrecord without specifying a device all the time. Also keep in mind
that if you are running debian the cdrecord source has been modified so
do as the warning states and don't send nasty email to the origional
author of the software.

I don't know what that other OS is smoking so good luck with that one.

Tim
- --
Undergraduate Student: Computer Systems Science
Resnet Student Consultant
Telcom Customer Service
Vice President: Michigan Technological University Linux Users Group
CAEL Partner (in perpetual training)
Public GPG Key: http://chong.idlegames.com/crypto/tecarmea.gpg.pub