Re: Filesystems

I'm not going to weigh in on the Rieser/ext* war, except to say that from the discussion so far, it seems ext* is winning. I personally run ext3 on 4 boxes with absolutely no problems. Ext3 is nice since it is journaled, where ext2 is not. I haven't had any problems with speed as far as ext3 is concerned either, of course it is somewhat faster on my SCSI drives then it is on my EIDE drives, but thats a given. Also, since it is mainstream kernel (as noted elsewhere) it is useful that I don't have to deal with different filesystems on different hardware as it is supported on all the machines I run (Intel, AMD, HP PARISC). Since I've only had good experiences with ext3 I'm not really inclined to try anything else.

Anyway, thats my $0.02 worth.
-Dan

Anthony Oliver wrote:

I currently run "ext2/ext3" on my home filesystem and was curious if

anyone else runs different filesystems (i.e. RieserFS, XFS, JFS).
I read that RieserFS can run 10-15times faster than ext for small files. Is this true? Has anyone had any real life comparisions. Can anyone give me some environments/examples where one filesystem would be preferred over the other, or like RieserFS for my /home partition, ext3 for my media (mp3, video) partition.

thanks,
-Anthony