Re: Filesystems

Anthony Oliver wrote:

I currently run "ext2/ext3" on my home filesystem and was curious if

anyone else runs different filesystems (i.e. RieserFS, XFS, JFS).
I read that RieserFS can run 10-15times faster than ext for small files. Is this true? Has anyone had any real life comparisions. Can anyone give me some environments/examples where one filesystem would be preferred over the other, or like RieserFS for my /home partition, ext3 for my media (mp3, video) partition.

thanks,
-Anthony

There are 2 reasons that I use ReiserFS3 over Ext3 now.
1) I am a pack rat and keep everything and download large amounts of data. Because of this I tend to fill disks. ReiserFS does not seem to reserve any disk space for root, which is handy if I want my user accounts to be able to write to the disk as it starts to get full. 2) ReiserFS seems to take up less space on my disk. Currently, on my 160GB partition, formatted with ReiserFS, the file system is taking up 5GB. On my 120GB disk running ext3, the file system is taking up 6GB. So I tend to opt for ReiserFS3

Mike Smith